History of Power
Harnessing the Cauvery Power
In June 1889, Captain A.J.De Lothbiniere, R.E, the then Deputy Chief Engineer of Mysore, after studying the account of the installation at the Niagara falls, conceived the idea of working the machienry at the kolar gold mines with electricity generated by the Power of the Cauvery falls at Shivanasamudram. The proposal received the eharty support of Sri.K Sheshadri Iyer and Colonel D. McNail Campbell the Chief Engineer.
The Project Begins.... on 9th May 1900
The Committee of experts consisting of Prof. G.Forbes, electrical expert, Prof. W.C Unwin, Hydraulic expert and Captain Jocelyn Thomson finalized the layout of the project and called the tenders for the work.
After calling the tenders, from several firms in Europe and America, and their scrutiny by expert committee, the tenders of M/s. Escher Wyss and Co, of Zurich for hydraulic machinery and of the Genral Electric Company of America for the electrical machinery wer accepted. The tenders included supply of machinery, erection withing 20 months after acceptance of tenders and operation for one year.
Meanwhile, negotiations with the Kolar gold mining companies for supply of power were finalized. The cost of power for first year was Rs.435/ HP and for subsequent 3 years for Rs.270/ HP and from 5th years onwards Rs.360/-. The quantum of power agreed to be delivered was 4000 HP. The estimate for the installation of Cauvery power scheme was approved and sanctioned on 31st Aug 1900 by Maharani Vani Vilas Sannidhana.